Sunday 16 May 2010

The Brit Awards: Who I Voted For

The Brit Awards is, as award ceremonies go, pretty rubbish. A glance at previous nominees and winners kind of proves this. Many of those on the voting board just vote for artists signed to the record labels they work for and other members are too old and completely out of touch (like my father, who votes continuously for Dido). Anyway, I’m a member of the voting board myself; the way it works is that you log onto the website and are given a list of artists and albums and you put them in order of preference. This does mean that a lot of smaller artists and independent record labels are overlooked, but it wouldn’t really matter as this is definitely all about the mainstream. Last year, I voted for acts like Neon Neon and Late of the Pier who basically would never win. This year though, we have a better calibre of mainstream artists and my choices were not that different to the actual nominees. Anyway, this is how I chose…
British Breakthrough Act:
1. Florence & the Machine
2. Little Boots
3. The XX
4. Friendly Fires
5. The Horrors
Nominees: Florence, Friendly Fires, JLS, La Roux, Pixie Lott


I fully expect Florence to win in this category, she’s been a critical and commercial hit and is more popular amongst the other voters than JLS. She did win the Rising Star award last year, but I don’t think that will make a difference.


WINNER: JLS
Clearly I was wrong!




British Female Solo Artist:
1. Lily Allen
2. Florence & the Machine
3. Little Boots
4. Bat For Lashes
5. Cheryl Cole


Nominees: Bat For Lashes, Florence, Leona Lewis, Lily Allen, Pixie Lott


Florence will probably win for the same reasons listed above. I think Leona Lewis is probably her biggest competition. Must say, I’m surprised that Cheryl Cole isn’t nominated more than SuBo. Nice to see Bat for Lashes beat both though.


WINNTER: Lily Allen
Wrong again! Though I am very pleased that my first choice Lily made it.


British Group
1. The XX
2. Franz Ferdinand
3. Friendly Fires
4. The Horrors
5. Camera Obscura


Nominees: Doves, Friendly Fires, JLS, Kasabian, Muse


Shame The XX don’t have a nod, but they’re probably a bit too obscure for some of the older voters. Either way, I was quite off the mark with this one. Not sure who will win between JLS, Kasabian or Muse, but I’m going to bet on Kasabian.


WINNER: Kasabian
And I was right!


British Male Solo Artist
1. Dizzee Rascal
2. Ian Brown
3. Jarvis Cocker
4. Morrissey
5. Pete Doherty


Nominees: Calvin Harris, Dizzee Rascal, Mika, Paulo Nutini, Robbie Williams


This wasn’t a very strong category, and out of the nominees Dizzee is really the only decent one. On the strength of ‘Bonkers’ alone, I think he’ll win this.


WINNER: Dizzee Rascal


Probably the most obvious choice and the clear and deserving winner.




International Album
1. Animal Collective-Merriweather Post Pavilion
2. Ladyhawke-Ladyhawke
3. TV On The Radio-Dear Science
4. Yeah Yeah Yeah’s-It’s Blitz!
5. Royksopp-Junior


Nominees: Animal Collective-Merriweather Post Pavilion, Black Eyed Peas-The End, Empire of the Sun-Walking on A Dream, Jay Z-The Blueprint 3, Lady GaGa-The Fame


Very pleased to see Animal Collective get nominated here. Nevertheless, that is probably the reward itself, and the award will probably go to Lady GaGa. I’m fairly certain I voted for TV On The Radio last year though…


WINNER: Lady GaGa
Of course...




International Breakthrough Artist
1. Animal Collective
2. TV On The Radio
3. Ladyhawke
4. Empire Of The Sun
5. Grizzly Bear


Nominees: Animal Collective, Daniel Merriweather, Empire of the Sun, Lady GaGa, Taylor Swift


Again, Lady GaGa is pretty much a shoe in, and doesn’t have any major competition.


WINNER: Lady GaGa
Obvious again...




International Female Solo Artist
1. Ladyhawke
2. Lady Gaga
3. Britney Spears
4. Rhianna
5. Tori Amos


Nominees: Lady GaGa, Ladyhawke, Norah Jones, Rihanna, Shakira


Pleased to see Ladyhawke nominated here. But I think Lady GaGa will once again walk it, unless she cancels herself out with the voters. Rihanna is probably her only real competition.


WINNER: Lady GaGa
...and again




International Male Solo Artist
1. Jay-Z
2. Deadmau5
3. Bruce Springsteen
4. Seasick Steve
5. Neil Young


Nominees: Bruce Springsteen, Eminem, Jay-Z, Michael Buble, Seasick Steve

Not a very strong category either. I haven’t heard any of the albums by these artists, and voted for Jay-Z mainly for his career as a whole. I think it’s between him and Buble for the award, and at a push I’ll go for the latter.


WINNER: Jay-Z
Probably the most predictable Brits ever.




Mastercard British Album
1. The Horrors-Primary Colours
2. The XX-XX
3. Late Of The Pier-Fantasy Black Channel
4. Franz Ferdinand-Tonight
5. Florence & the Machine-Lungs


Nominees: Dizzee Rascal-Tongue N Cheek, Florence & the Machine-Lungs, Kasabian-West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum, Lily Allen-It’s Not Me It’s You, Paulo Nutini-Sunny Side Up


Again, pretty certain I voted for Late of the Pier last year. Once again, my choices were a bit off. This might be the tightest category though, but once again I’ll bet on Florence clinching it.


WINNER: Florence & The Machine
Finally my Florence love pays off!

No comments:

Post a Comment